GRE (Graduate Record Examination)
What is GRE?
The Graduate Record Examination (GRE) is directed by the Educational Testing Services. GRE is a standardized test that is necessary to be taken by candidateslooking for admission in any of the graduate schools.
It is a test to calculate skills of the candidates. The GRE has been established to evaluate the verbal, analytical and mathematical skills of the students.
Candidatessearch for admission into any Master’s Program in the US and other European countries are necessary to take GRE. Individuals applying to graduate schools in order to follow a Masters in Arts (MA) or Science (MS) are required to take the GRE.
Commencement of Exam
Computer-based GRE Revised General Test is given year round at computer-based exam centres. Appointments are scheduled on a first come first serve basis.
You can take the GRE Revised General Test (Computer based test and paper based test) once in each 60 days and not more than five times in 12 months period. If candidateselect to take only the paper based GRE Revised General Test, you may take it as repeatedly as it is offered.
Eligibility Criteria for GRE
A Bachelor’s degree is the at least required for seeking admission in any Master’s Program in US and therefore, it is also an essential qualification for taking GRE.
Maximum US Universities have made it compulsory for a student to complete 16 years of education for admission to Science and Engineering programs.
However students field BE, B. Tech, B. SC (Agriculture) or B.Arch degrees, i.e. Candidate who has spent four years for their Bachelor’s degree can straight seek admission in Science and Engineering program in any US University.
Application Procedure for GRE
There are four techniques to apply for GRE:
- Candidate can use your American Express, Discover, JCBand MasterCard, Visa or a voucher number.
- Note: Phone registration is not valid for test takers in Mainland China, Hong Kong, Taiwan and Korea.
- Candidate must have a “My GRE Account” to register online.
- Candidate can’t register online if you need a fee discount, testing accommodation.
- Candidate can register on: http://mygre.ets.org/greweb/login/login.jsp
- Candidate can apply through American Express, Discover, JCB, Master Card or a voucher number.
- Candidate required to fax the International Test Schedule Form (PDF) to the appropriate RRC.
- Candidate must be submitted at least 1 week before your first choice test date.
- Candidate will be assigned a test date, time and the test centre address will be e-mailed, faxed or E- mail to candidate.
- If candidatenot receive the authorization of appointment, call the applicable RRC at least three business days before your earlier test date.
- Mail the International Test Schedule Form (PDF) to the appropriate RRC with applicable payment.
- A confirmation number, reporting time and the test centre address will be e-mailed, faxed or mailed to you.
- Candidate will be allotted a test date, time and place, based on the information you provide on the form.
Types of GRE
Categories of GRE
1) Revised General Test
2) GRE Subject Tests
Revised General Test
Revised General Test consists of 3 segments:
Speaking Reasoning (130-170)
Quantitative Reasoning (130-170)
Analytical Writing (0-6) in half point additions
Procedures your capability to analyse and calculate written material and produce information obtained from it, it also analyses the relations among component parts of judgements and identify relationships among words and thoughts.
Procedures problem-solving capability, concentrating on basic concepts of mathematics, algebra, geometry and data investigation.
Procedures critical thoughtful and investigative writing skills, specially your ability to communicative and support complex ideas plainly and successfully.
Format of Exam
The GRE contains of three main segments:
Speaking Reasoning: 30 Minutes/30 Questions
Quantitative Reasoning: 40 Minutes/28 Questions
- The total (maximum) marks allocated in GRE is 340
- Sectional scores (for speaking and numerical sections) – allotted is 170 marks (maximum) per section.
- Analytical writing valuationscores is scored independently on a scale of 0-6 based on the overall impact of the essays written by the candidate.
Countries Accepting the GRE Score
All the best universities around the world in US, UK, Europe, Singapore and Australia admit GRE score. More than 600 business schools admit the GRE score universally.
Earlier, business schools have only acknowledged the Graduate Management Admission Test or GMAT, which appearances more at reading, comprehension and reasoning. The GRE has a stronger attention on vocabulary and straightforward measurableabilities.